Seal the deal dating consolidating dispatch police services
These men continued to risk their lives and their boats, in saving the lives of shipwreck victims.
The irrepressible spirit of the Deal boatmen remained undaunted by these events throughout the Napoleonic Wars, and they continued to assert their hard-earned right to trade.
From these activities news of the events unfolding in France would reach England quickly and regularly, with about 400 men making a living off Deal beach at that time.
The war only made the boatmen’s efforts more profitable, so that afterwards the Government immediately turned a part of its naval blockade into a coastal blockade, which lasted from 1818 to 1831.
Its structure was extensively refurbished and repaired in 1997, with work including the replacement of much of the concrete cladding on the pier's main piles.
Work began in April 2008 to construct a new pier-head with a modern restaurant, with the restaurant opened in December 2008.
A Naval storehouse was built in Deal in 1672, providing for ships anchored in the Downs.
Sandown, Deal and Walmer castles were constructed around the town by Henry VIII to protect against foreign naval attack.
In 1672, a small Naval Yard was established at Deal, providing stores and minor repair facilities.
On the site of the yard there is now a building originally used as a semaphore tower linked to London, and later used as a coastguard house, then as a timeball tower, which remains today as a museum of time and communication.
It is referred to as Dela in 1158, and Dale in 1275.
The name is the Old English dael meaning 'valley', cognate with the modern English 'dale'.